LiSTer V2.00 """""""""""" OK, this is going to be the final release of LiSTer. I'm really surprised at the lack of response that I've had, (NOT!) and to be honest, it doesn't inspire me to carry on programming for the ST. I have released several other programs too but the response to them has been extremely poor. All except one program is totally free, but I get the impression that even free software is not appreciated. Still, I don't suppose anyone will be bothered after reading this either - I wonder how long the Atari ST's will survive?! This release cures a couple of small bugs that most of you probably haven't even seen, those who have have written to me. (Thanks guys.) There is one small addition to this release - you may now define your own title for the top ten lists. Thanks for the suggestion, David. I've added the update notes for the last couple of releases to this text, I don't know if it's worth it though, no-one gets to the end of the file anyway! If I receive any bug reports then I may fix them and release a new version, but I don't seriously expect to see much back. I feel fairly confident that all bugs have now been eradicated. I feel sorry for shareware programmers out there! If I can't even get messages, how do you do for money?!?! ;-) Regards, Robert. LiSTer V1.90 """""""""""" This update just cures a couple of minor bugs that I accidentally released in V1.80. There is only one extra bit in it! If you use the keyword SHOWMEM in your Lister.ctl file then the free memory on your computer will be displayed while Lister is carrying out it's work. It was just something I added so I could see how much memory Lister was using while compiling my lists, but I decided to leave it in. LiSTer V1.80 """""""""""" OK, LiSTer now creates some ever-so-nice Top Ten charts now, in all the above flavours. I have found that a setting of 15 produces the best sized files as these fit perfectly on one normal sized monitor screen. To produce these charts I have come up with yet another new switch to be added to the LiSTer control file. FOURTOPS If you include this switch, in addition to the WRITE TOPTEN command, of course, then all four types of charts are produced. Without it only the ASC version will be written. The old style .TXT file is no longer produced. For QuickBBS SysOps it is a simple thing to have these files written to your TEXT folder, and use menu option 45 to display them. I don't know what you do on ProBBS systems. To make the Top Ten list(s) a bit better you also have the option to not include any filenames that you do not wish to appear in your Top Ten listing, such as your ALLFILES.LZH file, etc. To do this, put the filenames between the lines OMIT and ENDOMIT. Each filename must be on a seperate line. For example, OMIT ALLFILES.LZH ALLFILES.TXT NEWFILES.LZH ENDOMIT These three filenames will not appear in any of the Top Ten lists. This need only be included in the main body of the control file, it will apply to all lists produced. (Requested by Alan Woodcock.) Had a bug reported by Si Gardner. I guess he had created new folders ready to add new file areas to his BBS, and copied over a current FILES.BBS file to the otherwise empty folder. LiSTer was fooled into thinking that the area existed and added it to the file lists... really rather pointless with no files in! It also used the title from that FILES.BBS file which made it appear that LiSTer was retaining the title from the previous area.... which it couldn't do! Anyway, it's fixed. If a folder has no files other than the FILES.BBS (or FILES.DAT) file then it will be ignored. For ProBBS users I have made a significant number of changes, mainly caused by completely forgetting that it is using a different file format! Oops... *8) First of all, those of you have converted over from QuickBBS have undoubtedly run a conversion program to produce your FILES.DAT files from your existing FILES.BBS format. Unfortunately for you, it included the download count from the old file too, which could cause all sorts of confusion. A file could say it had been downloaded 3 times in your description, yet the FILES.DAT file said it was only 1! I used the data from the FILES.DAT file to get the download count for the Top Ten lists, but the file count was not shown in the actual listing. This is what happens now.... o LiSTer takes the number of times a file has been downloaded from the FILES.DAT file. o If a description includes a count of any kind then it is wiped from the description. If there is a download count against this file from the FILES.DAT file then this is included in the description. o FOR THIS REASON IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU INCLUDE THE BRACKETS TO BE USED, OR TO BE WIPED, IN THE TOPTEN COMMAND LINE. DO NOT OMIT IT!!! I think that's about it. Unless any bugs are reported then I expect this will be the last released version of LiSTer. I can't think of anything else that I want an Allfiles list creator to do, can you? I shall be restarting my work on TidyFile next, I hope. """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" That's it. Right, a small plea to you all! I am interested to see how many people are using LiSTer out there. I'm not charging anything, and don't intend to for this program, so what I'd like from you is either a postcard of your home town (preferable!) or a small netmail message which just lets me know you are using it. Surely you can appreciate the amount of time I have spent coding LiSTer so I don't think that's too much to ask. For those of you who can't be bothered to look up my home address in the main text file, here is my address: Robert Darling, 11B Turketel Road, Folkestone, Kent, CT20 2PA. If you wish to send a netmail then you must have nodelists available! I can also be reached by email address to: Robert_Darling@standard.embassy.com Looking forward to hearing from you. BeST Regards, Robert.